D Plane – The Short Version

October 21st, 2010 by John Graham Leave a reply »

D Plane - The Short VersionI made this little drawing to help someone get an idea of what is most important about the D Plane.  This picture is basically showing a picture of a swing plane from down the line for a right hander.  As I look down the plane, there is only one place on that line that is more right than any other.

This point would be low point.  If the ball comes off the face any other place on that line, then that means that the club head is moving to the right until it reaches low point.  So, if this swing planes low point is pointing toward the target, any ball hit before that assuming a centered hit and a square to target club face shape can not fly straight.

In other words, if you are looking at your swing on video and your club travels right on this line while it’s pointing directly at the target and your club face is pointing directly at the target but you hit the ball before the low point, you will not hit it straight. Please check out the other D Plane posts on the D Plane page above.

8 comments

1. Javier says:

John,

I know that you know and all that…but

Careful with the words. On the last paragraph you leave out where the face is pointing and therefore you actually could hit a straight shot ;-)

2. John Graham says:

Javier,

Thanks. I’ll make that adjustment.

JG

3. davidcolly says:

JG,

You’ve stumped me with your definition there! I’m assuming we are looking at the plane line as it is pictured in the photo, but I’m not getting any greater clarity from the description.

Thanks for sharing though, as always.

DC

4. John Graham says:

David,

Yep, it is a visual representation of an inclined plane from down the line. This is what it would look like if we were viewing from directly behind the plane assuming no shifts.

Does that help?

JG

5. Elliott C says:

Hey JG,
    This one got my attention as I too was confused by it at first. I would say this, I do agree with what you said, but to me, your drawing and analogy are in 2D space which doesn’t that cause your swing plane to also equal your club path? When I transpose what you said to my swing in 3D space, my club path and could be different than my swing plane at or near the low point.

Good topic – Thanks,
    Elliott

6. John Graham says:

Elliott,

It could be a 2d or 3d drawing. The piece that is missing is the ground. I did that on purpose. Just so people could see the 3d path of the club with no reference to the ground. If the ball is hit before the furthest right point, the line is still moving right at that time. That’s all. Great question.

Hope that helps.

JG

7. Ian Clark says:

Hi John,
    Love this, just used it in a lesson with a student and he got it straight away.
    Cheers JG

8. John Graham says:

Ian,

Thanks for sharing that with me and reading my blogs.

Just made my day.

Hope to see you when I come over again this summer.

JG