I’ve been doing a bunch of thinking about Junior Golf. I’m not currently happy with the way that I am participating in this very special area. A bunch of years ago, I had a student that was one of the best female junior golfers in the country. At that time, I was just getting started with my teaching business and I had this wonderful young girl to work with. We would practice together, play together and go out on the course and work on very specific situations. I had so much time to spend with her because my lesson book wasn’t that full. Those years were the most fun I’ve had teaching. I ended up with a bunch of real good juniors and we all would do this golf stuff together.
A few years later, my lesson book was full, my family was growing and I didn’t have the time to spend with my juniors like I used to. My skills have increased considerably, but my time allotment has decreased. Over the last year, I have talked about and tried to figure out how to put together a program that would be something I would enjoy and that would be very powerful for my students. I’ve read some books and seen some clinics and feel comfortable with the idea I have in my head. So here it is.
It is my belief that golf instruction needs to change. It has become something that fits into a tip instead of a program. What other sport played at the elite level has the teacher work with their student in 30 minute or 60 minute blocks. To make it worse, more often than not, it’s not even on the field of play.
I want a program where I get to teach outside of the confines of a clock. Outside of the confines of a driving range. In order to do this, I think it’s clear that payment has to be a monthly fee instead of a per lesson charge. I don’t know what that rate should be, but here’s what I want to provide.
First of all I’m picturing a group of 20 to 28 students. Could be all juniors golfers or a mix of juniors and adults.
- Trackman for swing and ball flight analysis when working on mechanics, ball flight or distance control.
- AimPoint Green Reading – A continual teaching of how to read the green, aim and pace control.
- Shot by Shot – Statistical analysis to focus in on where true weaknesses are.
- TPI – Specific programs for each player during the long, cold off season.
- High Speed Video Analysis with Casio EX-FH20
- On course strategy, practice and playing information.
- Tournament observation. I want to be able to go watch my players compete again. I miss that.
- Mental Game – Work with Andy Morrison to build programs for each player as determined by Andy.
- Supervised Practice.
- Supervised Practice Play.
This is the list I have off the top of my head. I will also include college recruitment info and other things related to playing golf in college. My goal would be to have a schedule that is 10 -5. Any or all come during that time for supervised practice days. Specific days and times when lessons are given. Specific days and times when we are going out to play.
Basically, I want to coach these players. I don’t want to just line ‘em up and give them lessons.
What I need from you, the reader, is an idea of what something like this should cost. What would you expect to pay if you had a son or daughter and you were interested in this program.
Please leave your questions and comments below.